Leading from the Left

Monday, August 13, 2007

This is Not an Announcement. Stay Tuned....

I won’t make an official announcement until sometime this fall, but I wanted you all to be among the first to know that I’ve decided to run for the State Senate seat currently represented by Ellie Kinnaird.

When Ellie told me last winter that she would not be running for re-election in 2008, I immediately was inclined to run. The state legislature is a key battle-ground for many of the issues I care about: the environment, quality schools, equal treatment under the law for lesbians and gay men, and health care reform. Legislative seats don’t open up very often, I decided, and if I wish to impact those and other issues then there was no choice but to get into this race.

Ellie has been a consistent—and persistent—voice for the district’s progressive values. She was often a lone voice in the State Senate for the progressive positions you and I share. Our next State Senator also needs to be someone who will be bold, principled, and progressive, while at the same time work well with others to make a difference for our community.

During my tenure as an Orange County Commissioner and as Mayor of Carrboro, I have been a strong advocate for the environment, education, and protecting the under-served and under-represented in our society. I will build on this record if elected to the NC State Senate.

Additionally, for the past 3 years, I’ve worked as a lobbyist on environmental issues at the General Assembly. Because of that experience, I can hit the ground running in the State Senate. I can be effective from Day One. I know how to make things happen in Raleigh while keeping fiercely committed to my progressive principles.

Now that the 2007 legislative session has drawn to a close, you begin to see signs of campaign activity on my part. A campaign for the State Senate demands a larger campaign organization than I’ve had in past runs for Mayor of Carrboro and for the Board of County Commissioners. It’s critical to get organized early.

However, it’s still a bit early to make an official announcement. For that, you’ll have to stay tuned…..