Leading from the Left

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Kevin Foy to Retire

Chapel Hill Mayor Kevin Foy announced late this afternoon that he will not be seeking another term in office. Kevin is serving his 4th two year term as Mayor.
My tenure as Mayor of Carrboro coincided with the first 4 years of Kevin's service as Mayor of Chapel Hill. It was my distinct pleasure to work with him on issues of mutual concern.
I've always been impressed with Kevin's commitment to put sound policy above immediate political concerns. He's a public servant rather than a politician; those are few and far between.

While I'm sorry to see Kevin retire, I certainly understand that 8 years leading a dynamic town like Chapel Hill is tiring. It's a sign of his wisdom that he knows when the time is right to leave.

Thanks, Kevin, for serving your community with distinction.