Leading from the Left

Friday, July 06, 2007

Unchained Melody

Here's an article from today's News & Observer about a local group that advocates for more humane treatment of animals. Not only do they advocate, but they put their money where their mouths are and build fences for families that otherwise would have to chain their dogs 24-7.

Amanda Arrington and her fellow volunteers take donations and are always grateful for assistance from those so inclined. When I moved into my new house last month, I donated the existing chain link fence to the group. Amanda, her husband, and two volunteers came and removed it in a matter of days, saving me the hassle of doing it myself while at the same time recycling a fence for other families. Amanda told me that my fence might help as many as 3 other families. It was a good bargain for all.