Leading from the Left

Friday, April 20, 2007

Broken Record

I know some of my friends and colleagues must think I'm a broken record on energy. It seems like all I can talk about these days is global warming, energy security, energy efficiency, renewables, the energy economy, and the list could go on and on.

But if we're serious about addressing global warming, then we have to focus like laser beams on the causes and the solutions. If we don't start taking action soon, very soon, it's going to be too late. I don't believe any level of government--local, state or federal--as done a good job of addressing energy.

We've got a chance in '08 to change that, at least in Washington; so I thought it would be a good exercise to see what the presidential candidates are saying about energy. No surprisingly, the Democratic candidates generally had energy positions that we more detailed and more forward thinking. I flat out had a hard time locating substantive positions on most of the Republicans.

For most candidates, I was able to find an energy or global warming position paper on their websites. For those I couldn't, I've linked to newspaper clippings. Here are the links to find out more about the candidate's positions on energy:

Barack Obama
John Edwards
Hillary Clinton
Bill Richardson' speech on energy

Mitt Romney
John McCain
Rudy Giuliani
Tommy Thompson
Mike Huckabee