Leading from the Left

Friday, July 20, 2007

Blood Sport

By now you've heard about or read about the indictment of pro-footballer Michael Vick on dog-fighting charges.

Until recently, I knew nothing about this "sport." Like most of you, I thought it was a thing of the past. Maybe it still happened in places like Mississippi or the Louisiana bayous, I thought, but surely not here.

This spring as I worked with a group of Orange County residents to craft recommendations for tethering dogs, I had an opportunity to be educated on dog-fighting as well as the breeding and training of dogs to fight. It is rumored that we have some of this going on right here in Orange County. While I can't prove it exists here, I've come to believe strongly that it does.

Here's a link to an article in Newsweek about dog-fighting. This will make you sick to your stomach...the reference to a 'rape box' at the end of the article is particularly disgusting.

You might also find Senator Byrd's recent speech in the Senate about dog-fighting interesting.