Leading from the Left

Monday, September 17, 2007

Survey Says!

The results from the on-line survey I did with regard to the Land Transfer tax vs the sales tax are in. To date, 116 of you took the survey and supported the transfer tax option over the sales tax 84.5% to 15.%.

I'll be the first one to admit that this wasn't a scientific survey, but none-the-less the results are very interesting. That's quite an overwhelming majority who prefer the transfer tax. What I found particularly informative were the additional comments many of you posted. Here is a sampling of those comments:

"a no brainer to me!"

"A land transfer tax is by FAR more preferable. Much more equitable."

"Fight the Realtors! Growth must pay for itself!"

"Neither. Spend less and stay within current revenues."

"Hands down this (transfer tax) is the best choice for the present and future. The sales tax choice will only create more problems down the road for the poorest NC residents."

"Both are stupid. Increasing the income tax is to cover needed revenue is the only fair tax."

Again, thanks to each of you who participated in this survey and shared your thoughts. When I posted it, I had no idea if folks would find it interesting or worthwhile. But the response has been so strong that I will most likely do another survey.

One of the downsides of being an elected official is that it's very easy to loose touch with the average citizen. I'm always looking for ways to stay in touch with Orange County residents, so if you have any suggestions or ideas along those lines please don't hesitate to shoot me an email.