Leading from the Left

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Best Supporters a Candidate Could Hope For

Below is the text of an email that I sent some of my LGBT supporters yesterday to let them know that I would be suspending my run for the NC State Senate.

'Tomorrow the newspapers will report that my State Senator, Ellie Kinnaird, has changed her mind and intends to run for re-election after all. Yep, she's running again.

I'm still reeling from the news. I--and many of you---have put a great deal of effort into this campaign. And we were on our way toward building the strongest legislative campaign this district has ever seen. But I will not be running against Senator Kinnaird.

As disappointing as this development is, it's important to keep our eyes on the prize and remember that our time will come.

So, what's going to happen next? My awesome campaign manager, Alex Miller, and I have decided to suspend the campaign rather than dismantle it completely. If circumstances change again in the next couple of months, we want to be able to hit the ground running. While we won't be doing any more fundraising or planning, we will keep the campaign infrastructure intact until the dust settles. In politics, anything can happen.

Alex and I have many decisions to make in the coming weeks. A letter will be going out to all of our donors in the next few days explaining the situation. In the meantime, I wanted you all to know immediately.

You've been wonderful to me during this campaign. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your support, kind words, guidance, and willingness to roll up your sleeves and do some heavy lifting.

If I'm disappointed about Senator Kinnaird's decision, it's not so much because I won't be running this year. But rather it's because so many of you had done so much. I know you want to see more openly gay state legislators. And I know I'll be able to count on you next time around.

In the mean time I encourage you to support, as I do, the campaigns of either one of our two gay men running for state-wide office this year: John Arrowood, who's running for the NC Court of Appeals, and Jim Neal who is running for the US Senate. Just having these two men in the race, shows how much North Carolina has changed.

Thank you again for being the best group of supporters a candidate could ever hope for."